Being arrested for driving while intoxicated (DWI) can be scary enough, but facing an extreme DWI charge in Texas can be downright terrifying. An extreme DWI, also called a felony DWI, means an increased risk of lengthy jail time, higher fines, and other serious consequences to your daily life.
If you are looking at a felony DWI, you want the experienced, aggressive legal counsel of The Law Office of Kenneth W Mullen PC involved as soon as possible.
Texas Felony DWIs
In Texas, authorities may charge you with a felony DWI under certain circumstances:
- Intoxication Manslaughter
- Driving while intoxicated and being suspected of causing an accident that resulted in the death of someone is a second-degree felony punishable by 2 to 20 years in prison.
- Intoxication Assault
- Driving while intoxicated and causing serious bodily injury to someone is a third-degree felony and carries a 2 to 10-year prison sentence.
- DWI with Child Passenger
- A DWI with a passenger under 15 years old in the car is a state jail felony that could result in six months to two years of incarceration.
- Third or Subsequent DWI
- If you have already been convicted of DWI twice — no matter how long ago the convictions were — any further DWIs qualify as felony DWIs, which carry a 2 to 10-year prison sentence.
Getting The Law Office of Kenneth W Mullen PC involved early gives you the best chance of defending yourself against felony DWI charges. Common defenses include raising challenges to blood, breath, urine, or other sobriety tests.
Penalties of a Felony DWI Conviction
In addition to incarceration, a felony DWI conviction carries several other possible penalties:
- Fine up to $10,000
- Driver’s license suspension
- Up to 10 years probation
- Ignition interlock device on your vehicle
- Substance abuse treatment and counseling.
Moreover, as with any felony conviction, you will lose the right to vote and own a firearm.
If you face a felony DWI charge and all the potentially devastating consequences that come with it, call The Law Office of Kenneth W Mullen PC today at (817) 406-9596 or through the online contact form.
We're Ready to Fight
For You Put Your Case
In Qualified Hands
When we take on your case, we work thoroughly and diligently to meet your legal goals and objectives. We believe in working as hard for you as we would if you were family. To that end, we take an aggressive approach both at the negotiation table and in court, fighting for your legal rights and best interests. When you bring your case to our firm, we will begin by thoroughly analyzing all aspects of it to give you our legal opinion, advice, and guidance as to how best to proceed and realistic expectations as to what may occur throughout the legal process.
Our firm offers 24/7 access to an attorney along with legal service in Spanish. If you or someone you know is facing a legal problem in the above practice areas, we urge you to take advantage of a free consultation by phone or in person where you can discuss the specifics of your case. Get the guidance you need from a seasoned and knowledgeable legal professional whose sole aim will be to act as your advocate in helping you reach a successful outcome.
The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.